Last Updated on
Whether you’re trying to keep animals out or keep your precious livestock in, the best electric fence charger is going to give you extra peace of mind. It’s hard to determine which are the best electric fence chargers and which are better left unpurchased. For this reason, use this guide to see six of the best products on the market as well as to learn a little bit more about electric fence chargers.
Best Electric Fence Charger 2019
|Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6|
|Zareba EAC200M-Z 200-Mile||AC||200|
|Zareba ESP5M-Z 5-Mile||Solar||5||6-volt|
|Parmak Super Energizer||AC||50|
1. Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6 – The Best Solar Fence Charger
The first product in our guide is the Parmak DF-SP-LI, which is a solar powered electric fence charger. The product has enough joules to power a fence that’s 25 miles long. Additionally, it has a high enough voltage to deter even some of the largest animals. For those that don’t want to just depend on solar power, this Parmak product features a battery, which is perfect for those days that are overcast or in regions of the world where it’s snowy or not very sunny. When it comes to output, this product provides a pulsed shock experience for any animals that come in contact with the fence.
For some reason, the battery that comes with this product has been known to fail in as small as period as a few days. Additionally, the product itself can sometimes fail for no discernible reason. Finally, the solar panel, which usually does a good job at providing power for the fence, isn’t mounted on the charger very reliably and feels a bit flimsy.
This first product in our guide is a solar-powered unit that proves to be very versatile due to the fact that it can use both solar energies as well as battery-stored energy. It also has a great range for anyone that needs a lot of land covered.
2. Zareba EAC200M-Z – The Best Powerful Fence Charger
The next product in this guide of the best electric fence chargers is a low-impedance product from Zareba. The product can produce 15 output joules and is a good option for those looking to keep medium-sized to large-size livestock contained safely. With its ability to put out the right level of voltage, this charger is also a great option for keeping predators away from your precious animals. On top of all of this, this Zareba product also comes with a three-year warranty, which is relatively inclusive.
Overall, this Zareba product is a good option for anyone that needs a workhorse electric fence charger. Not only does it pack the right amount of voltage, but it also has power enough to cover up to 200 miles of fencing.
3. Patriot PE2 Electric Fence Energizer – The Best Electric Fence Charger for Keeping Pets Safe
Not everyone needs an electric fence charger that’s going to electrify large swaths of fencing. Sometimes, you need a product that will electrify a smaller area so that pets won’t escape, and this product, which is manufactured by Patriot, makes for a good option in this regard. This fence charger electrifies about 200 feet of fence, so it can handle many of the more significant private properties that don’t have livestock. In fact, this product can even be used to electrify items around your property like a bird feeder or a mailbox.
If you need a product that packs a punch, this isn’t for you. It’s really designed to dissuade smaller pest animals and keep animals like small pets within a confined space. It only outputs 0.10 joules, so larger predators, like wolves and coyotes, may barely notice it. For this reason, bigger livestock animals like goats may merely ignore this fence charger’s output.
This product stands out for anyone that has a smaller property and has smaller animals that are easy to dissuade when they’re shocked. It also is perfect for electrifying items like bird feeders; any squirrels trying to get at your bird food will quickly learn the error of their ways. This Patriot fence energizer is also a good option for anyone who needs an easy-to-install product; it should only take you a few minutes to place on your property.
Do you have animals that regularly like to escape? Then, this product, which is from Patriots, might be the answer to your needs. It has a compact size and is also just the right voltage to keep small animals within a confined space.
4. Zareba ESP5M-Z 5-Mile Solar Fence Energizer – The Best Electric Fence Charger for Easy Installation
The second Zareba product in our guide is the Zareba ESP5M-Z, and this product incorporates solar power into the functionality of the electric fence charger. In totality, this fence charger has a five-mile range, which is perfect for intermediate properties with livestock. While the charger isn’t designed for larger animals, it’s ideal for the containment of pets and may have enough charge to dissuade some cattle and horses from leaving your property’s borders. Zareba offers a one-year warranty on this product, which will cover any mishaps or malfunctions that may arise.
This thing is a bit underpowered; some larger animals may just ignore it due to the low voltage. While this product does have a five-mile range, the joule output is somewhat underwhelming, so you can expect about 0.4 joules during everyday use.
Once again, you don’t always need an ultra-powerful fence charger with miles of range repeat. Sometimes, a solar-powered unit, like this one, can work well to keep your animals contained and some predators at Bay.
5. Patriot P10 Dual Purpose Electric Fence Energizer – The Best Electric Fence Charger for Mid-Sized Properties
Despite its compact design, this product, which is manufactured by Patriot, really has a good amount of range and a steady level of performance. For those that need a product that packs a punch, this electric fence charger has a no-load voltage of 9,700. Also, this is also an electric fence charger that has the option for a solar setup; you’ll just have to purchase the photovoltaic cell separately. Patriot also provides a two-year full replacement warranty with the purchase of the product, which is relatively all-inclusive.
Inherently, while the product may have a bit of weather resistance, it’s definitely not a weatherproof electric fence charger. Also, some owners may be a bit annoyed by the fact that they have to purchase the solar cell separately. Finally, the product has been known to not ship with an AC adapter plug.
If you need a product that’s relatively reliable and is easy to set up, then this fence charger from Patriot is an excellent place to start. It has large easy to grip terminals and will provide a steady output of energy for up to 30 miles of fencing.
6. Parmak Super Energizer 5 Low Impedance – The Best Electric Fence Charger for All-Purpose Usage
The final product in our guide has a fairly impressive range of 50 miles. Additionally, it also has a low impedance that can generate 8000 volts of holding power. This is enough voltage to give even the most stubborn of animals like bears and boars pause. Also, when it comes to design, this is a very easy to use and install electric fence controller, so you shouldn’t need to consult with an installation expert to use it on your property. During everyday use, this charger will produce about one shock per second or any animal or person that may attempt to touch the fence.
Despite the occasional case of the product suffering faults, this is also known to be a very reliable fence charger. Additionally, this is also a product that will shock and discourage even larger, more stubborn, animals. The 50-mile range also is a good choice for those property owners with relatively large properties. The digital performance meter is also handy so that you can know exactly how much power output the electric fence charger is delivering.
Overall, our final product is recommended because it has a good level of performance for just about every type of property and animal. It’ll work well as a defensive measure against larger predators, and larger livestock won’t want to deal with the high-voltage power output.
It’s Desired Use
When you’re on the market for an electric fence charger, it’s crucial that you select the product that’s going to best fit the desired use for the charger. For example, if you’re just trying to keep in small animals like chicken, small pigs, or the family pets, than a product that has a lot of current can be disastrous. For this reason, it’s a good idea to purchase a product that fits what you’re trying to do. If you’re looking to keep larger predators out, then a charger that can work with a lot of current can be advantageous.
On the other hand, a product with a lot of current can also dissuade larger livestock like cows and horses from wandering too far from your property. Let’s take a look at the type of usage you can consider by type of animal:
- Large Livestock: Large livestock can include bison, bulls, cows, horses, and larger pigs. With these types of animals, you might want to have a stronger level of shock and at least four wires to ensure that they won’t wander past your property.
- Medium-Sized Livestock: If you have sheep, goats, pigs, or dogs, then a charger that’s designed for medium sized lock livestock is your best bet. Usually, please provide a reasonably mild level of electrical current, so it will only slightly stun your animals. Usually, chargers that are designed for this level of output will require two to three strands of wire.
- Predators: When you trying to keep out predators a high value of shock output is preferred. Also, you’ll want to have as many wire strands as possible so that these opportunistic feeders can be properly convinced to seek food somewhere else. Larger predators like bears will require a much larger shock thanks to that thick layer fur in fact. Additionally, if you have issues with boars they often are very single-minded, so once again, a larger shock is needed.
- Pests: When you’re trying to protect the garden, one of these electric fence chargers can convince pest like deer, rabbits, and field mice from using your vegetables as food. Wiring that’s designed for pests can even keep out small animals like locusts, snakes, and mosquitoes. Of course, this means that the wiring will have to be closer, but you won’t need a lot of current.
- Small Livestock: When it comes to small livestock, in most situations we will be talking about poultry. When you are purchasing an electric solar fence charger, you won’t need a lot of voltage to keep these animals and exploring too far. Additionally, there are also anti-roost wire strands that have needles on them to ensure that your birds won’t become too free-range.
What are other essential features to consider?
Some of the best chargers for electric fence fences utilize photovoltaic cells to provide a steady flow of electricity that comes directly from the sun. When you use one of these, you will use up less power, and typically, these will last at least for five years. As you might expect, you’ll definitely want to place a solar powered electric fence charger in an area that will get a lot of sunlight. For this reason, this is not always the best option for areas of the country they get a lot of gloomy days or heavy winters. For this reason, it might be beneficial to purchase a product that also has a hybridized system that also uses batteries to keep a steady flow of charge.
These products are designed to dissuade, which is why knowing precisely what you’re trying to keep out or in is vital for figuring out the voltage that you’ll need. For example, the aforementioned bears are known for that thick fur and tough skin, so a higher level of voltage is going to be required to ensure that they won’t enter your property, especially considering that bears are often very stubborn. On the other hand, animals of a lot of wanderlust might need a little extra voltage to serve as encouragement keep them from going too far away.
When considering joules, it’s important to understand that most chargers work with two measurements: output and stored.
- Stored: When it comes to stored output, this is a good measurement of how much power is captured directly in the energizer. Ideally, you’ll want to have enough power stored so that the energy can flow what’s the ramp level of power throughout the system.
- Output: Output, on the other hand, is the amount of power that is distributed to whatever is being shocked by the electric fence. As a general rule, output typically is about 60 percent of the stored capacity. It is absolutely crucial that you understand that the more fence you have, the more joules you’ll lose, so for a larger fence, a higher number is required. A good rule of thumb that you can consider is that you’ll need about one joule per mile of fence.
When it comes to finding the best electric fence charger, it’s always a good idea to do the right level of due diligence so that you don’t pick the wrong product. Each of the products that we featured in this guide we’ll keep the right animals and in the wrong animals out when you need to charge your electric fence.
Figuring out the product that works best for your animals does take a bit of work. If you’re still not sure where to begin, take a look at the reviews one more time and consult the buyer’s guide so that you can find the product that best fits your needs.